Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Flash player on embedded devices

OK- I’ve been wanting to start a blog for some time, but as you know, ‘inertia’ is the word when it comes to starting something new. As with the laws of physics, it always takes more effort to start something new, rather than keeping something running. Now that I have typed this far, hopefully I’ll keep writing more. In my blogs, I intend to focus on Adobe Flash, audio/video and multimedia devices in general. As you know, the company I work for, California Software Labs is Flash player distributor. In general, I have worked with Flash player 7, Flash Lite 2, 2.1 and now Flash Lite 3. The porting has been done to various OSes, such as Linux (all kinds of flavors- RedHat, Fedora, uC, BlueCat…..), Windows CE 4.250/6.0, Windows Mobile 5/6, Nucleus, ThreadX, etc. etc. The underlying CPU has been ARM (most popular) followed by X86, followed my MIPS and others. Each system had unique configuration, and really had very wide range of application- set top box, digital signage, handheld pda, cell phone, remote control, kiosk, low end laptops, mp3 players……. etc. etc. The array of applications where Flash is being used is vast, and having worked with several of them, I have developed my own set of secret weapons which I hope to share with you. If you have any questions, or need more information about Flash in the embedded world, please use the links on the blog page to contact me.

No comments: